This is an AnandTech review of the Hypersonic Sonic Aviator 3.06GHz Pentium 4 laptop which is just another rebadge of the Clevo 5600. I bought mine (rebadged as a Promedion) a while back, but with a 2GHz P4 (Northwood) and a Radeon 7500 Mobility instead of a Radeon 9000 Mobility. In case you didn’t know, this laptop does Linux.
After a few minutes of Perl *ptooooey* hacking, I’ve re-elevated myself back to the super-user that I am. I now have authoring permissions over all blogs on this system and won’t be able to lose them again. If you’ve somehow lost authoring permissions on blogs in a Movable Type installation that you maintain, download and run this script. It will only work if you had permissions before and subsequently lost them.
I quote from the Movable Type Movable Type User Manual: AUTHORS AND PERMISSIONS: “You can edit your own authoring permissions by selecting your own name from the pulldown menu. Be careful when doing this, however, particularly with respect to turning off author-editing permissions for yourself. If you turn off your author-editing permissions, you will be unable to turn them back on.” I’ve gone and done this on all the blogs of the other users on my installation, so that I don’t get listed as author on the blogs that I don’t have anything to do with.
I’ve made binary snapshots of my suspend/resume capable DRI Radeon drivers for XFree86 4.3.0 RC 1 (i.e. 220.127.116.111) available on the dri resume pages. My patches weren’t submitted early enough to be included in the looming XFree86 4.3.0 release, but will be merged with the XFree86 CVS shortly afterwards. Once more distribution vendors have standardised on 4.3.0 and things have settled down, my binary drivers should also be able to stabilise.
My extremely exciting and immensely inspiring weblog will continue elsewhere.
It could be because I set something up incorrectly, but people have been seeing unusably narrow text entry boxes (TEXTAREA) in Movable Type 2.51 with Mozilla (1.0 and 1.2.1), Opera 7 and IE 6.0. So I ran: <br /> mkdir new && for i in *.tmpl; do cat $i | sed -e \<br /> 's/<TMPL_IF NAME=AGENT_MOZILLA> cols=\"\"<\/TMPL_IF>/\<br /> cols=\"80\"/g' > new/$i; done && cp new/* ./<br /> in the tmpl directory and it all seems to be usable now.
Rudolph paved the way when he moved out from LiveJournal. I’d been looking at alternatives myself and finally got around to installing the brilliant Movable Type. After having fixed (worked around really) a stupid bug with extremely narrow textboxes in Mozilla 1.0 and 1.2.1, everything seems to work now. Paul also came along for the ride. See my livejournal for what happened before.
After having gone back to my workstation vendor for the 4th time in so many months today with a broken graphics card and after having had to replace the now scarce SMP motherboard, I’ve learned two very valuable lessons: When you buy a workstation for Real Work™, get at least a three year on-site guarantee. You might think that you can’t afford the extra EUR150 (or roundabout), but after you tally up all the time you might have to spend fixing your own workstation during its lifetime, you’ll realise that you’re wrong.
But let’s start a tad smaller: Go add your name to this petition against software patents in Europe.
My Meyers Briggs personality type is ENTJ. I don’t know whether one should pay any attention to these kinds of things. Personally, I believe it’s mostly bullshit. :)