Inspired by the impressive power (and philosophy) of One Punch Man’s Consecutive Normal Punches, I present: A Series of Consecutive Normal Daily Head Voices!
- First day back at work 😱
- … but the most lovely lunch run (not literally) and chat with colleague E.
- Single cable life at work is there, but it’s complicated: Thunderbolt3 cable from macbook to Thinkpad dock, dock thunderbolt3 to displayport-mini (adapter), displayport-mini to displayport to monitor.
- Had blood drawn for my quarterly PSA test. (prostate-specific antigen; regular test to check that prostate cancer stays gone)
- Double Commander (currently at 1.1.8) on macOS is even better than I remember it, and is only a
brew install --cask double-commanderaway.
- marimo looks really good! From the github: a reactive notebook for Python. It allows you to rapidly experiment with data and models, code with confidence in your notebook’s correctness, and productionize notebooks as pipelines or interactive web apps. I still have to play with it, but it sounds like an Observable for Python.
- Shorter weekday run because hip and because sun. Hip only started complaining by the end, a little later than my last short run. 🎉
- Tried to find reclining high-back office chairs with footrest in South Africa, starting from: https://www.wellnessgrit.com/best-reclining-office-chair-with-footrest/
- Spectacular failure! Google Bard, Bing Chat, Perplexity come up with plausible looking links that go to different sites, but nowhere any chairs to be found
- perplexity is probably the least bad because it more often admits to just not finding any links in SA
- See e.g. https://g.co/bard/share/39071699296c and https://www.perplexity.ai/search/Following-is-a-aMds8_E1SkSAwsHGKNF_tQ?s=c#68c76cf3-f135-4a44-80c2-c1c628d17fb5
- Because of work, started to spend some quality time with d3.js again. I hope to be doing some nice interactive visualization soon!
- PSA is 0.006! 🥳
- if you’ve ever worked with d3.js, you will have used bl.ocks.org quite often. To my surprise, none of these links work anymore, and instead redirect you to the source gist, where they used to show you the live visualization. I could not find much official news about this sunsetting, but was consoled by the discovery of the open source bl.ocks.org clone at https://blocks.roadtolarissa.com/ via https://stackoverflow.com/a/75351168/532513
- Tune of the evening: RÜFÜS DU SOL - On My Knees (Adriatique Remix)
- Short week-day run, no hip issues!
- Very nice focused day at home: First half wrapping up a code review. Second half diving back into d3.js. So much old memories I have to unearth.
- In between hacked in an idle mode for org-roam-similarity, in the process discovered that on this M1 Pro, CPU is much faster (2x) and uses much less RAM than the hardware accelerated PyTorch MPS version
- Lovely weekend-starter braai with family.
- Ran into the final sections (and private comments the source org file) of WHV #208 – besides the nostalgic music bits, really enjoyed reading some of the older journals. Publish or not, strong motivation to keep on writing journals. (now-you is often a very different person than then-you. interesting to keep in touch!)
- one of the highlights of the day was phone-call by and substantial conversation with bestie PK
- rest of day quite laid-back with the whole family, which was great
- thinking a lot about stefanv’s week planner instead of day planner, and the implications of this seemingly reduced planning effort (my daily planning is mostly only theoretical)
- greater family braai (GFB)
- Overslept a bit, woke up at 9 AM. This has not happened in ages.
- Slightly longer weekend run at 10 with new running hat and SPF50 on me face and neck. Hip issue did not manifest, am touching wood!
- Because I’ve been thinking about more visual ways to plan my week, worked on org-roam-canvas, making it a whole lot faster.